Monday, April 28, 2008

Life's Lessons

Hi...Sadie here. Lexi and I are being exceptionally lazy these days, so it's been more than a week since we updated this blog. I didn't want to do it now, but my bully of a sister kept biting my ear until I gave in and said I'd do it. She bites on my ears a lot lately. I don't know why she hates me so much. She starts licking me like she's trying to love on me and give me kisses (or a bath), and then she just chomps right down on my ears. And then it's on. We run all over the house chasing each other and rolling each other around on the ground until there are clumps of our hair blanketing the floor all over the house. Anyway, enough about that.


I wanted to share a few lessons I have learned since the arrival of the little human. I hope this helps all you other cats out there who are facing the same life changes as Lexi and I have been experiencing.
1. When a mini-human comes along, cats are no longer the center of attention. You've fallen by the wayside. Take a seat and get used to it.
2. Baby poop smells a lot worse than a litter box. Yes, it is possible for something to smell worse than a litter box.
3. Crying excessively will not get cats what they want. It works for a baby, but not for cats. Go figure.
4. Do NOT assume that shrunken beds and stuffed toys are for the cats. Sleeping in the bed and playing with the toys will only end in disaster. Take my word for it.
5. Don't even bother planning an escape. Lexi has tried this numerous times. It always ends with her being caught after only making it a few steps out the door (usually she's caught by the tail). There's just no escaping the madness.
6. Throwing up small batches of partially digested cat food in various spots on the carpet WILL get you additional attention. However, it is likely NOT the kind of attention you are seeking, unless you are seeking the "screaming at you and swatting you on the butt" kind of attention. So don't bother wasting your time, or your lunch.
7. Bask in every moment of silence you can get. They are few and far between.
8. Holding out on making friends with the little person will not do you any good. Chances are the little loud mouth is not going anywhere. Might as well get used to it and try to make the best of it.
9. Waking the grown ups at ungodly hours during the night, whether for attention or for a refill of the food bowl, is not taken well by the grown ups, especially after they just got the baby sleeping through the night. They will NOT get out of bed just to love on the cats or fill the food bowl. You'll have to wait it out until the morning, if they are not still mad at you for waking them up in the first place.
10. Running water is FAR BETTER than water sitting in a bowl. Ok, so that one has nothing to do with the arrival of the little fella, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. You should insist that the humans give you running water out of a faucet several times a day. In fact, refuse to drink the water out of the bowl. They will either oblige, or you can try knocking over any cups of water that they may leave sitting around until they get the point and start turning the faucet on for you when you request it.



News about the mini-human....he has been CONSTANTLY rolling over for the past week or 2. The grown ups cannot keep him on his back anymore. As soon as they put him on his back, he immediately rolls onto his belly. And, he has slept through the night every night for a week now. We are all crossing our fingers that this continues and becomes the norm.


Here are a few recent pics of what's going on in Parker's world.



He's got his blankie and his thumb...LIFE IS GOOD!



Helping his daddy sort through the bills...

...and 5 minutes later, he's spent. Those bills are so exhausting!

Look for 4 month pictures of the little guy next week. And maybe we'll throw in some pictures of ourselves for good measure.

Until next time....
-Sadie Sue

No comments: